Your pet is the undeniable ‘star’ at the Bluestar Pet Hospital and Grooming. Regardless of your budget, the health and well-being of your furry companion is our priority. At Bluestar, we have made it even easier for your pet to stay happy and healthy by putting preventive care in the spotlight. Generally, preventive care services cost far less than waiting for an obvious and noticeable problem with your pet. Early detection of abnormalities often makes treating the issue cost much less financially for you and involves little stress for your pet.
You’ll also stress less over vet bills due to Bluestar’s many wellness plans that cover your pet’s yearly preventive care but allow for affordable monthly payments in place of one large vet bill for the year. You will also receive regular discounts on services such as nail trims and anal sac expressions! Call us or stop by the office to discuss all the fantastic and affordable preventive care our wellness plans can provide to you and your pet!
It might be impossible to protect your pet everything, but many common conditions can be avoided or quickly resolved with regular vet visits.
Pneumonia, seizures, chronic diarrhea, joint inflammation, kidney, liver diseases, urinary tract, and respiratory infections, and a wide range of other debilitating or life-threatening conditions can be managed and sometimes avoided altogether with preventive services available at Bluestar Pet Hospital.
Some of these services include:
- Grinding and clipping nails – Prevents nails overgrowing into the paw pad, from putting painful pressure on toe joints, compromising your pet’s natural alignment, and increasing his or her risk of injuries. It also helps prevent us, people, from getting unwanted and accidental scratch marks!
- Anal sac expression – When expressed properly, this can prevent anal glands from becoming impacted, infected, and/or even ruptured. Dogs can also develop masses within the gland, so routine rectal palpation is important for early detection.
- Ear cleaning – Removes dirt, debris, and wax build-up; helps to prevent infections and check for other problems (such as polyps) within the ear canal.
- Vaccinations – Helps your pet’s immune system recognize diseases, fight off harmful invaders, and reduce the severity of illnesses (such as canine parvovirus and feline distemper)
- Microchipping – Electronic identification helps to reunite your pet with you, should they ever unexpectedly get lost. Collars may break. Tags can be damaged or fall off. But, once registered, the microchip is a reliable way to trace your pet back to you. So, you can have a joyous reunion!
- Spay/neuter – Beyond responsible “popular control,” pets that aren’t spayed or neutered are at increased risk of developing serious medical conditions such as:
- Mammary gland cancers, which can grow quite large to the point of rupture (opening), causing bleeding, infection, pain, and can ultimately become untreatable
- Pyometra (an infection of the uterus) can lead to septic shock and even death if left untreated (females)
- Prostate enlargement can cause severe pain and lead to compression of the urethra. This can cause a medical emergency in which your pet cannot urinate (males)
- Routine blood work – A crucial part of annual “well” exams, routine blood work allows us to monitor your pet’s “normal” blood work values and screen for potential abnormalities. It also helps us detect diseases early, such as diabetes, liver disease, kidney disease, or autoimmune diseases. Early detection of these abnormalities can be vital but also much less expensive to treat if caught early.
- Parasite testing – Fleas and ticks, roundworms and hookworms, and a range of other parasites can carry serious diseases, some that are able to infect people too! These parasites are easily preventable and treatable. However, if left unchecked, they can cause all sorts of health problems, including anemia, weight loss, and nutrition deficiencies.
- Routine dental cleaning – Scaling and polishing regularly assures your pet’s teeth, and gums are healthy for comfortable chewing, early identification of tooth root abscesses, and other problems before they also wreak havoc on overall health. As with humans, gum disease is associated with kidney, liver, and heart conditions.
- Heartworm Testing – In Florida, there are mosquitoes all year-round. Not only can mosquitoes carry infectious organisms to people, but they can also carry infectious parasites to our dogs and cats, specifically heartworms. Heartworm prevention is inexpensive and easy to administer, however extremely painful and expensive to treat. Ask us about Proheart, an injection that eliminates the need for monthly oral heartworm medication and keeps your dog protected from heartworms for six months!
- Grooming – (St. Johns location only) Services such as bathing and hair cuts go a long way for your furry friend! Grooming helps prevent hair mats, decreases the amount of shedding, and can also help find underlying issues hidden by their coat! Things like skin infections or allergies are much easier to notice when your pet is routinely groomed. It also makes your furry friend’s appearance the best it can be!
There are numerous ways to protect your furry friends in partnership with Bluestar Pet Hospital and Grooming. Call 904-720-4272 to schedule your pet’s appointment at our Jacksonville, FL location or, if St. Johns is more convenient for you, call 904-720-4275.
Dr. Venkat Gutta
Bluestar Pet Hospital & Grooming
At Blue Star Pet Hospital and Grooming, Dr. Venkat Gutta provides high-quality and modern veterinary services to all your furry friends! At Bluestar, Dr. Gutta and his team are committed to providing your pets with both a full-service Veterinary Hospital and a modern grooming salon (St. Johns location only) for dogs and cats. Our primary commitment is to provide your companion animals with the highest quality medical care. Dr. Gutta strongly believes in treating your four-legged companions as family members and providing them with excellent yet affordable veterinary care. At Bluestar, we also think that it is important to educate you, as a pet owner, and ensure that the unique needs of you and your pet are met at all times. Through Bluestar, Dr. Gutta and his team serve clients in Durbin Crossing, Jacksonville, St Augustine, St Johns, CR 210, and other areas. Whether it is pet vaccinations, surgery, techniques, advanced diagnostic testing, or even flea and tick control products, we give you access to the best and most cutting-edge treatments and technologies. At Bluestar, we believe that your pet is the STAR!