A grain-free diet has become increasingly popular in recent years. Its purpose is to eliminate such unhealthy ingredients as corn, wheat, and soy and add more protein, meat, and animal fats, and reduce carbohydrates. According to the US FDA Grain-Free Diet Study Updates in St Johns, FL, here is a list of the main benefits of a grain-free diet for dogs that you should know about:
- Improves digestion. A grain-free diet contains fewer carbohydrates and more protein, which helps dogs digest the food easier. Therefore, this type of diet is especially recommended to dogs that suffer from various digestive disorders.
- High in nutritional value. A grain-free diet is high in vegetables, healthy meat, fiber, and fish protein – nutrients that are necessary for a complete and balanced meal.
- Benefits to a dog’s coat. As mentioned above, this diet is high in fish protein and contributes to an increase in omega-3 fatty acids. They help make your dog’s coat silky, thick, healthy, and shiny. Moreover, the coat becomes stronger, which reduces shedding significantly.
- Boosts energy. A grain-free diet increases a dog’s energy because it contains protein – the main and most natural source of energy for canines. This diet is especially good for pregnant and lactating dogs because they need more energy to produce puppies and provide the litter with the necessary nutrients.
- Does not cause any allergies. If your dog has any allergies, switching to a grain-free diet may be a good decision. According to numerous studies, most dogs’ allergies are caused by grains (corn and wheat) in their diets. The symptoms include licking their feet, diarrhea, itchy skin, and some others. If you decide to switch to a grain-free diet, these symptoms will most likely be eliminated.
- Controls your dog’s weight. If your dog eats a high amount of carbohydrates and does not get enough exercise, it may lead to weight gain. A grain-free diet is a good solution for controlling your canine’s weight because it contains vegetables and healthy protein – ingredients that do not lead to overweight.
Bluestar Pet Hospital in St Johns, FL – We Treat Your Pets Like Our Own
If you are unsure whether switching to a grain-free diet is a good solution or not, or if you have any questions about your canine’s nutrition, we are ready to answer all of them. We do our best to help our four-legged patients live a happy, healthy, and long life. Do not hesitate to reach us at (904) 720-4275 and schedule your first consultation with one of our veterinarians.
Dr. Venkat Gutta
Bluestar Pet Hospital & Grooming
At Blue Star Pet Hospital and Grooming, Dr. Venkat Gutta provides high quality and modern veterinary services to all your furry friends! At Bluestar, Dr. Gutta and his team are committed to providing your pets with both a full-service Veterinary Hospital and a modern grooming salon for dogs and cats. Our topmost commitment is to provide your companion animals with high-quality medicinal care. Dr. Gutta strongly believes in treating your four-legged companions as family members and providing them with excellent veterinary care in a value-friendly manner. At Bluestar, we also believe that it is important to educate you, as a pet owner, and ensure that the unique needs of your pet and you are met at all times. Through Bluestar, Dr. Gutta and his team serve patients in Durbin Crossing, Jacksonville, St Augustine, St Johns, CR 210 and other areas. Whether it is pet vaccinations, surgery equipment, and techniques, advanced diagnostic testing or even flea and tick control products, we give you access to the best and most cutting-edge treatments and technologies At Bluestar, we believe that your pet is the STAR!