Puppy Exercise in Saint Johns FL
Exercise is important to all dogs, including puppies. If you’re a pet owner with a new puppy, it’s important to understand the value of exercise and how puppy exercise can impact your puppy’s health. Knowing when and how to exercise your puppy can help keep him or her healthy and happy.
Is Exercise Good For Your Puppy?
Yes, exercise is good for puppies. Puppies need to get exercise every day in order to develop strong bones and explore their world. Exercise also helps puppies and their owners develop a closer relationship, by bringing the puppy and owner together in happy activity.
Exercise Best Practices
Exercising a puppy is a little bit different from exercising a grown adult dog. Puppies who are pushed to exercise hard to build up endurance could injury a bone or muscle and do permanent damage to their body. In addition, unlike older dogs, very young puppies often do not understand structured exercise time. As a result, some exercise best practices and puppy training tips include:
- Let your puppy be the guide. If your puppy indicates that he or she is tired and would like to lay down instead of exercise, let your puppy do so.
- Give your puppy lots of “unstructured” play time. This includes time your puppy can spend playing around in the yard and inside your home. You may play with your puppy during this time, but don’t be afraid to have your puppy play on his own. Puppies need to learn to entertain themselves!
- Take your puppy for short walks. Puppy walking is fun, but should not be drawn out for longer than necessary. You can increase the walks a little bit at a time as your puppy ages, but watch your puppy for signs of fatigue or injury and bring him or her home when your puppy indicates it’s time.
Best Types of Exercise for Puppies in Saint Johns
Puppies respond to a variety of different types of exercise and should be given a variety. Some of the most common types of exercise for puppies include:
- Self-directed play. Self-directed play is play time that your puppy controls and engages in spontaneously. Your puppy won’t need to be told to do self-directed play, but giving your puppy a big yard and a few toys will encourage this type of play.
- Play time together. Play with your puppy on a daily basis. Encourage your puppy to run and chase during this time.
- Structured walks. Structured walks help your puppy learn self-control. Take your puppy for walks on a regular basis. If your puppy has a hard time staying focused during walks, talk to an expert for puppy training tips.
Contact Your Pet’s Veterinarian For Puppy Exercise Tips
At Blue Star Animal Hospital and Grooming we help pet owners take care of their new puppies. To make an appointment for puppy exercise tips, contact us today.
Share this Article
Dr. Venkat Gutta
Bluestar Pet Hospital & Grooming
At Blue Star Pet Hospital and Grooming, Dr. Venkat Gutta provides high-quality and modern veterinary services to all your furry friends! At Bluestar, Dr. Gutta and his team are committed to providing your pets with both a full-service Veterinary Hospital and a modern grooming salon (St. Johns location only) for dogs and cats. Our primary commitment is to provide your companion animals with the highest quality medical care. Dr. Gutta strongly believes in treating your four-legged companions as family members and providing them with excellent yet affordable veterinary care. At Bluestar, we also think that it is important to educate you, as a pet owner, and ensure that the unique needs of you and your pet are met at all times. Through Bluestar, Dr. Gutta and his team serve clients in Durbin Crossing, Jacksonville, St Augustine, St Johns, CR 210, and other areas. Whether it is pet vaccinations, surgery, techniques, advanced diagnostic testing, or even flea and tick control products, we give you access to the best and most cutting-edge treatments and technologies. At Bluestar, we believe that your pet is the STAR!